As always, the Law Office of John M. Phillips’ facebook page was posting “strange laws.” Here are a few of this week’s best:
- It is illegal to put ice cream on cherry pie in Kansas.
- In Tennessee, it is illegal to use a lasso to catch a fish.
- In Oklahoma, people who make “ugly faces” at dogs may be fined and/or jailed. Read more
- In Alabama, state code allows only 5 minutes for one to vote.
- In Florida, it is illegal to drive with hazard lights unless you are in a funeral procession. Hazards lights are for stopped vehicles only.
- In Arkansas, no person shall sound the horn on a vehicle at any place where cold drinks or sandwiches are served after 9:00 p.m.
- In Ottumwa, Iowa, it is illegal for any man, within the corporate city limits, to wink at any female with whom he is “unacquainted.”
- In Topeka, Kansas, servers are forbidden to serve wine in teacups.
- In Kentucky, a female shall not appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state.
- In Zion, Illinois it is illegal for anyone to give cats, dogs, or other domesticated animals a lighted cigar.
- According to a law in China, you must be intelligent to go to college.
In Riverside, California, kissing on the lips, unless both parties wipe their lips with carbonized rose water, is against the local health ordinance.
It is Wednesday again, so to help you get over your mid-week blues, here are some very real and very funny weird laws from around the country, enjoy!
- In Reno, Nevada, it is unlawful for any person to carry on, conduct or maintain any marathon dancing or marathon walking.
- In Bergen County, New Jersey, the only retail outlets permitted to be open on Sundays are grocery stores and liquor stores.
- In South Carolina, it is unlawful for a minor under the age of eighteen to play a pinball machine.
- In Tennessee, you must believe in god to be elected into office. You also are not permitted into office if you were a contender in a duel.
- Odd non-laws: Vermont has no ban on public nudity. In New York women can be topless in public.
- In West Virginia, state code deems it unlawful for any person to have in his possession or to display any red or black flag.
- In Wisconsin, the serving of colored oleomargarine or margarine at a public eating place as a substitute for table butter is prohibited.
- In Florida, it is illegal to fish while driving across a bridge.