Skip to content

April 1, 2013

Michael Dunn- Understanding the Man who Killed Jordan Davis (Part 2, his blog)

by John Phillips

Michael Dunn- Understanding the Man who Killed Jordan Davis (Part 2, his blog)

“Spikey Mike’s Blog” – The Blog of Michael Dunn

Blurbs

About me:

Here is my story: I’m on the tall side at 6’4″. I weigh 240 lbs, have dark hair and blue eyes. I fly a small airplane along the beach on weekends and I also enjoy riding my motorcycle. Let’s go cruising! Heck, let’s go flying! I am a professional, with a career in software development. I love my work and find it rewarding. I don’t work 60-80 hours / week as I did early on in my career. I’ve paid my “dues” and would rather enjoy life!

Who I’d like to meet:

Making new friends is always a welcomed proposition, so don’t be shy to say hello!

Details

Companies

Spirit Software, INc.

• Vero Beach, FL US

• Director of Software Development

Interests

• General

I live for the weekends! Flying to breakfast Saturday morning is the norm. I enjoy riding my motorcycle along Indian River Drive in the evenings, weather permitting. I also like to attend Bike Night! A night of partying at the City Walk is always fun. I love Margarita Ville!
  • Music

I freely admit (to most) that I am a Jimmy Buffet fan. I enjoy most reggae, blues and any Led Zeppelin. Most of my music collection is considered classic Rock, though you’ll find 311 in there as well.
  • Movies

Iron Man! ‘Nuff said.
  • Television

Two and a half Men.
  • Books

Last book I read was that whole Twilight series. 4 books in all. Yes, I have a teenage daughter. The deal was, she’d read one of my sci-fi series (Area 51 / Robert Doherty) in exchange.
  • Heroes

I’d have to say Bill Gates is my ‘Hero’. He’s far my my ideal person, being a modern-day robber-baron and all. Don’t misunderstand me, I despise him for what he’s done to the computing industry, however I admire him BECAUSE he’s been able to bamboozle the entire planet! Now that’s a rare talent indeed! That’s the behavior I’d like to emulate, though I’d like to think that I’d use it in a more altruistic manner. ;0)

The Blog-

Sep 1, 2009, 9:22 AM

From one of our FINEST to one of our WORST

Jim Hill’s Letter to World Class Asshole – Barbara Boxer (D. California)

Many of us witnessed the arrogance of Barbara Boxer as she admonished a brigadier general because he addressed her as “ma’am” and not “Senator” before a Senate hearing. This letter is from a National Guard aviator and Captain for Alaska Airlines. I wonder what he would have said if he were really angry.

Babs:

You were so right on when you scolded the general on TV for using
the term, “ma’am,” instead of “Senator”. After all, in the military,
“ma’am” is a term of respect when addressing a female of superior
rank or position.. The general was totally wrong. You are not a
person of superior rank or position. You are a member of one of the
world’s most corrupt organizations, the U.S. Senate, equaled only
by the U.S. House of Representatives.

Congress is a cesspool of liars, thieves, inside traders, traitors,
drunks (one who killed a staffer, yet is still revered), criminals,
and other low level swine who, as individuals (not all, but many),
will do anything to enhance their lives, fortunes and power, all at
the expense of the People of the United States and its Constitution,
in order to be continually re-elected. Many democrats even want
American troops killed by releasing photographs. How many of you
could honestly say, “We pledge our lives, our fortunes and our
sacred honor”? None? One? Two?

Your reaction to the general shows several things. First is your
abysmal ignorance of all things military. Your treatment of the
general shows you to be an elitist of the worst kind. When the
general entered the military (as most of us who served) he wrote the
government a blank check, offering his life to protect your
derriere, now safely and comfortably ensconced in a 20 thousand
dollar leather chair, paid for by the general’s taxes. You repaid
him for this by humiliating him in front of millions.

Second is your puerile character, lack of sophistication, and
arrogance which borders on the hubristic. This display of brattish
behavior shows you to be a virago, termagant, harridan, nag, scold
or shrew, unfit for your position, regardless of the support of the
unwashed, uneducated masses who have made California into the
laughing stock of the nation.

What I am writing, Senator, are the same thoughts countless millions
of Americans have toward Congress, but who lack the energy, ability
or time to convey them. Under the democrats, some don’t even have
the 44 cents to buy the stamp. Regardless of their thoughts, most
realize that politicians are pretty much the same, and will vote for
the one who will bring home the most bacon, even if they do consider
how corrupt that person is. Lord Acton (1834 – 1902) so aptly
charged, “Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts
absolutely.” Unbeknownst to you and your colleagues, “Mr. Power” has
had his way with all of you, and we are all the worse for it.

Finally Senator, I, too, have a title. It is “Right Wing Extremist
Potential Terrorist Threat.” It is not of my choosing, but was given
to me by your Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano. And
you were offended by “ma’am”?

Have a fine day. Cheers!

Jim Hill
(address deleted)

Jun 3, 2009, 12:41 PM

New Beginnings

As luck would have it, I met someone I can finally be myself with.  It’s such a relief not to have to pretend to be someone I’m not.   For better or worse, she likes me as I am.  (She even laughs at my lame jokes!)   We’ve only known each other a short while, but we’ve both already dropped the ‘act’ of being on our best behavior that is so typical of a newly minted couple.   Don’t get the idea that I am crude around her or anything like that – she’s a lady and I treat her like one.   I just mean that I don’t feel as if I need to analyze every word or action around her, as she doesn’t appear to have a judgmental bone in her body. I’m not sure where this is going to end up, but I like where it is heading.  Hey Rhonda!  Thanks for coming into my life.   You sure are fun to be around!

Nov 27, 2008, 5:20 PM

She’s mine now

I’ve often said to friends and family: “The only thing better than flying your own airplane is to fly your Dad’s!”

I hope I was wrong… Dad signed over the Champ to me on Thanksgiving Day. I am now a proud aircraft owner! I’ll let you know as time goes by if I was wrong or not. Remember – the Champ just had a $10,000 engine overhaul. I think we’ll need to recover it in a few years, have no idea what that is going to cost! I’m hoping that we’ll be able to do it ourselves, so the money will go towards materials more than anything.

Now what to do? Hand-propping the engine is cool – but I think a starter would be good too. When the engine was re-built, we had them swap out the case for a modern style that has a place for a starter motor. Then of course, we’d need a charging system to keep the starter’s battery going. If I get an engine-driven alternator, then I’ll need a Mo..ransponder, so maybe a wind-generator would be better. See how fast you can spend $$ with an airplane? This is going to turn into a very expensive present! 😉

I’m not complaining though! This has to be the coolest thing ever! I mean, I’ve owned boats and motorcycles, but an airplane? Wow! I must be getting OLD!

Aug 5, 2008, 1:53 PM

Flew to Jacksonville!

My daughter and I flew up to Jacksonvill last Friday (8/1)  in  the freshly overhauled Champ.  Since we’re still running the wood prop, we only did 85 MPH airspeed. We flew along the coast the whole way up, except for the restricted air space in and around Kennedy Space Center.  Friends who know the story will appreciate the importance of that detail!

We made our fuel stop at Ormand Beach (KOMN) after flying for two hours, then flew for another hour on to our destination at Craig Municipal Airport (KCRG) in Jacksonville.  We had an uneventful flight there and back home on Sunday.  What made the trip remarkable for me is the fact that my 16-year old daughter made the trip with me!  She hates flying in small aircraft, but I suspect spending 6 hours in the air has changed her mind (though she tells me otherwise!).

Jul 28, 2008, 10:23 AM

Back in the air again!

Flew the Champ this weekend!  Took off at 8:00 AM as a flight of 3.  All tail-draggers of similar design, so we were able to travel in a loose formation.  The airplane flies the same, of course, but take-offs were much quicker, thanks to the fresh C-85 done by Don’s Dream Machines.  What a difference flying a wrung-out vs a Zero-time engine!

After breakfast, I wanted to put some time on the engine, so I headed for Sebastian.  That was a nice 45 mile leg from Okeechobee.  I hung out there for a bit (see my rant: Some People!), then headed home. I took the scenic route, which for me is flying 500 feet over the beach.  The water is so clear this time of year, it’s amazing how many sharks can bee seen, swimming right off shore!

I’m planning a trip up to Jacksonville next weekend.  My younger daughter and I are going to fly up to visit her sister, who is living in Jacksonville as she will be attending UNF this year.  This time, I’ll be sure to stay clear of R-2932!

Jul 28, 2008, 10:07 AM

Some people!

This little rant is directed at inconsiderate people.  Case in point – when meeting someone at an agreed upon time and place.  Generally speaking, a window of time is given by the person doing the traveling.  To be considerate, these ‘windows of time’ should be shrunk to reduce the amount of time the person you’re meeting is left waiting.   Be a good estimater and be on time! What happens though, when you arrive at the agreed upon time and location, only to find that the person you’re visiting hasn’t bothered to show up?  In my particular instance, I arrived in the middle of the 15-minute window I gave. When nobody was there to meet me, I called.  “Oh – I’m on my way!”  Grrr!  30 minutes later,  my patience had just run out when I received a phone call -“I’m at the wrong place!”   Not only could they not be bothered to meet me at the agreed upon time, they couldn’t be bothered to make sure they knew how to get there!  I mean, isn’t two weeks lead-time enough?  Is it just me? In hindsight, I should have left after the first call.  Oh, you’re just leaving?  So am I!

Jun 23, 2008,  8:02 AM

Is Hell Exothermic or Endothermic

The following is supposedly an actual question given on aUniversity of Washington chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was so “profound” that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, ofcourse, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle’s Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed), or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets toHell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let’s look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.

Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls inHell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle’s Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, and then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hellbreaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell,then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, “It will be a cold day in Hell before I go out with you”, and take into account the fact that I went out with her last night then number 2 mustbe true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct . . . leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting, “Oh my God.”

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY “A.”

Jun 21, 2008, 1:08 PM

Linux is Cool

I tried out the new release of Linux Mint the other day.  (www.linuxmint.com).

If you’re wondering, MINT isn’t a new Linux distribution, but a repackage of Ubuntu. I think it’s great for home use, as it plays all media after installation – even DVD movies!

Download the ISO and burn it to a CD.  You can boot your Windows computer from the CD and run it ‘Live’ w/o making any changes to your computer.  You can also install it on an existing computer, providing you have some room left on your hard drive.  It makes what is called a ‘dual boot’ system.  You pick which to load when you turn the computer on (windows or Linux).

The next time you feel as though you need a new computer, try loading Linux Mint on the computer you have first.  You might find that your hardware (computer) is just fine and what you need is a new way of using it.

Jun 21, 2008, 12:38 PM

Flew to breakfast today!

The airplane I fly is out of commission while the engine is being overhauled.  This isn’t normally a 3 month project, but the guy we use is busy, so we wait.

I had the opportunity to fly today, so I took it.  The airplane I was hitching a ride in was a 1941 Aeronca Defender!  From the outside, the Defender isn’t much of a departure from the 1946 Aeronca Champ that I fly, as they are both tandem-seat tail-draggers. (Think Piper Cub and you’ll get a good idea of the type).   The Defender is considered a ‘Pre-War’ design and the Champ is a ‘Post-War’ design.  What a difference 5 years made in aviation!  The Champ feels modern, despite its antique status!

We flew to breakfast at the Okeechobee airport.  They serve great coffee!  If you’re ever there on a weekend between 8:30 – 9:30 – Look for a table of boisterous pilots. I’ll be the one laughing!

Read more from Learn.
2 Comments Post a comment
  1. Aug 29 2015

ostume コスチュームs

2. Aug 29 2015

PU Leather H

Sound off below...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

%d bloggers like this: